Topic 9: Videos

June 3rd, 2010

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/161816383_3f13468dbb_o.jpg

When I was young the only Indian movies that I had access to were located at the local Indian grocery store. And of course, these movies all dated back to 1985 or earlier, so I could never convince my parents that they were worth sitting through. Now, I am presented with the option to watch a Indian film any time I watch a free movie online. Popular sources of free movie streaming such as Movies-Links.tv and YouTube.com/movies have categories or tags specifically for Hindi films, and OnlineWatchMovies.net has 8 different categories of Indian films.

It is the ease of access to these films has most likely increased their popularity despite linguistic and cultural barriers they present to the average internet movie streamer. The allure of an exotic culture and the comical melodrama stereotypical of Bollywood entertainment have given Indian films a unique niche in online media. It is not just the kitschy films that are getting attention, either. The amusing music video for a catchy song called “Tunak Tunak Tun” by  Daler Mendhi went viral while I was in highschool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAN7Ts0xBo

Before I could even become acquainted with it through Indian friends and family, it was sent to me in an email by one of my video junkie friends. The jolly Punjab’s smile is  contagious when you see him dance with  all of his friendly clones from outer space. Another Indian music video that went viral was dubbed the name “Benny Lava” (who knows what it’s really called). This cheesy video has been coupled with a ridiculous transcription of what the lyrics could sound like to the ordinary English speaker.

2 Responses to “Topic 9: Videos”

1. jajamoo on June 6, 2010 5:36 am

I can relate to this because my parents were (and still are) huge Indian movie (Bollywood) and music fans. I remember as a child that for my parents to be able to watch movies from this very small niche of a sub-genre, they would have to travel all the way to New York City (which was 4 or 5 hours away in a car). The internet has made it infinitely easier for them to be able to watch some movies and songs whenever and wherever they want.

2. ernest ackermann on June 7, 2010 4:44 pm

Great post about getting to see Indian movies. When I was in graduate school at Penn State, in the 70s, we sometimes went to see Indian movies sponsored by the Indian student’s association. (Of course, there were plenty of Indian professors there as well.) Those were certainly not modern films, but we really enjoyed the fact that parents let their children run all over the place and talk while the movies were being shown. The plots were very easy to follow and those screenings were family events.